Have a question about renting a car in Tasmania? Take a look at our FAQs below, call us during business hours or contact us via the contact page on this website. We look forward to assisting you soon!

General questions about renting a car with Drive Car Hire

What is the cancellation policy?

Your booking deposit is non-refundable however we understand that your plans can change, so we hold your deposit in credit for 24 months. No-shows and cancellations within 24 hours of arrival will be charged in full. Cancellations between 24 and 48 hours of pick-up may be charged 50% of the balance.  If you need to amend or cancel a booking, please contact us at [email protected] with your booking reference number.

Why do you charge a booking deposit?

When you book with us, we charge a booking deposit of $100.  This guarantees your booking and ensures that we hold the car for you, so there will be no surprises on arrival!  Unlike some rental companies, we guarantee that you get the type of car that you have requested.  In the rare circumstance that we cannot supply the type of car you have booked, we will contact you in advance to ensure that a suitable alternative is provided.

What do need to provide in order to rent a car?

You need to provide a valid driving license issued in your home country. If your license is not in English a certified translated copy or an International Licence is required. You will also need a valid credit card. We accept Visa, Mastercard and Amex.

Can I rent a car with an international drivers licence?

The renter must have a valid drivers licence for at least 24 months, be over the age of 21 and must be present at the time of rental. The licence must be valid at time of rental and remain valid throughout the rental period. A licence issued in a foreign country is acceptable, however if not issued in English language it must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit.

How old do I have to be to rent a car?

You have to be at least 21 years of age and have held a driving licence for a minimum of 2 years to drive our cars. Some vehicle categories such as Tesla, 4WDs, sports & prestige vehicles require drivers to be at least 25 years of age. A maximum driver age of 79 applies to most cars. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Can I rent a car if I am on P plates?

We accept provisional licences so long as the driver meets our age requirement and has at least two years unsupervised driving experience. You must provide your own P plates for display as per your driver’s licence conditions.

What else do I need to provide?

Accurate flight details and times, along with your contact details, email & mobile number ensures we have all we need to provide a smooth booking and delivery service.

Can I drop my vehicle off at a different location to pick up?

Yes, we have office locations in Hobart City, Hobart Airport and Launceston Airport. Devonport pick ups and returns can be arranged with prior notice. Return location must be nominated at time of booking. One-way fees may apply.

If I pick up my car at 10am, must I return it at 10am?

We base our rentals on 24 hour periods or part thereof, so if you wish to return the car at a later time to when you collected, you will be charged for an extra day. We do allow a 1 hour grace period for returning, so if you collect at 10am, you can return at 11am without incurring additional charges however this must be notified to us at the time of booking.

Can I book more than one vehicle at a time?

Yes, but please make note that you are requesting more than one vehicle, so that they don’t appear to be duplicated.

Why is my flight number required?

To ensure that your vehicle is ready for your arrival. This also helps us prepare if your flight arrives earlier or later than scheduled.

How will I know if my booking is confirmed?

If you are pre-booking your rental vehicle, please provide us with an email address and we can confirm your booking through an email. You will receive a confirmation within 24 hours of submitting a request. If you are booking during office hours, we will confirm your booking request usually within 2 hours.

Can I return my vehicle early?

A minimum of 48 hours notice is required for early returns. A rate adjustment may be applied to reflect a shorter rental period.

Can another person drive my rental vehicle?

Yes, provided they meet age and experience criteria. You must provide us with a copy of their driving licence prior to to any additional driver driving the car. Additional fees may apply.

Can I hire a baby or child seat?

Yes, we offer up-right forward facing baby and child seats. If you require a baby capsule, please provide prior notice. Please note that we will place the seats in the car but it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that the seats are correctly fitted in the vehicle. For special seats and capsules, we can recommend an accredited third party supplier who will fit the item to the car prior to arrival.

Can I tow using your vehicle or fit racks?

No. Vehicles are not equipped for towing and objects carried on the roof are not permitted.

What about bike or roof racks, wheelchairs, pets?

Roof racks cannot be fitted to vehicles. Wheelchairs can be accommodated in wagons, minibuses & SUV type vehicles. Larger SUVs can generally accommodate bikes. Pets can be transported in some cars, provided they are restrained in a carrier. Please contact us in advance if you have any such requirements so that we can ensure the car you have booked is appropriate to you needs.

How far is your office from Hobart Airport?

At Hobart Airport our express collection service means you won’t need to travel to our office – complete your rental agreement in advance and we will have your car waiting in our airport parking bays for you when you arrive. This is the quickest way to get on the road with no waiting for your car.

When you return the car, you will take it directly to the Airport. Our return point is a 3 minute easy walk from the terminal.

Can I take vehicles off road?

Vehicles are permitted on unsealed roads (gravel roads) provided they are properly formed and council maintained roads shown on tourist maps. 4wd tracks, beaches, Forestry maintained roads and washed out tracks are not permitted.

Can I take my car into National Parks?

Yes. Vehicles are allowed in to all national parks provided roads are open for use. You will need to purchase a National Parks pass.

Can I take my vehicle to Bruny Island?

Yes. Vehicles are allowed on to Bruny Island. You are covered under our Rental Agreement for use on Bruny Island and travel on the Bruny Island Ferry. Due to the nature of roads we recommend an SUV type of vehicle for this purpose.

Can I drive the car outside of Tasmania?


Can I use a debit card?

Debit cards can be used for the payment of car rental balance, however a credit card must be presented as security for the booking and any additional charges. Prepaid and reloadable debit cards as well as Travel money cards and EFTPOS cards are not accepted. Special conditions may apply to anybody using a debit card.

Do I need to pay a Security Bond?

A bond is required when you hire the vehicle. The refund of security bonds is processed within 7 days of return. Depending on level of Damage Liability you select, the amount can be $100 – $500, the latter being applicable to the standard (higher) excess amount. Refund amount may include any charges such as fuel, infringement processing fees, damage etc. You would be advised separately if any such charges are made.

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept Visa, Mastercard and Amex. A merchant service fee of 1.4% will be applied to Visa and Mastercard transactions. A merchant service fee of 2.75% applies to all Amex payments.

Debit cards are accepted on the condition that maximum damage cover is selected and a $250 security bond will be payable.

What about traffic infringements and parking fines?

If we receive a fine or infringement notice relating to your rental, we are required to complete a statutory declaration. The fine or infringement notice is sent on to you by the issuing authority. A $66 processing fee will apply. This does not include payment of the fine.

What do I do in the event of an accident or breakdown?

You are covered by a 24 hour breakdown service, details of which will be on your Rental Agreement. If you are a member of an Australian motoring organisation (RAC) cover is extended to you by RACT in Tasmania.

What is a single vehicle accident?

A Single Vehicle Accident (SVA) is defined as any accident or damage not involving another vehicle or where the vehicle and driver cannot be identified. SVAs are commonly but not limited to accidents that occur between the vehicle and wildlife.

What is my damage liability?

There are a range of options to provide suitable cover for damage. These can be selected any time prior to hiring your vehicle. At all times reversing, undercarriage and overhead damage is excluded, as is negligence, DUI, or where the terms and conditions of the Rental Agreement are breached. Towing/retrieval costs are at your expense.

What if the accident is not my fault?

Irrespective of cause or fault, you are liable for the excess amount up front. If recovery can be made from the other party or their insurer then a refund would apply. It should be noted that recovery can be a lengthy process and if successful, legal and/or administrative costs may apply and be deducted from any amount reimbursed.

What if my Credit Card covers my excess?

Some credit cards offer Damage Cover subject to their conditions. You need to ascertain the limit of cover and whether it covers third party property etc. In the event of accident you must pay us the excess amount immediately and then seek reimbursement from your card company.

What if I lock the keys in the car?

Our roadside cover does not include non-mechanical call-outs such as locking your keys in the car, losing your keys, running out of fuel or charge (for EVs), etc. Any fees associated with non-mechanical issues will be the responsibility of the renter.

Can I drive the car in alpine areas?

Yes, all cars are permitted in alpine areas. Please be aware that in winter months road closures due to snow can occur and access may be limited to 4WD and 2WD vehicles only. We recommend a 4WD for winter travel if your itinerary includes alpine regions.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

There may be times when Drive Car Hire does not meet your expectations.   In these circumstances, we encourage you to let us know. We are committed to learning from your experiences as this helps us to continually improve the services that we deliver.

Our approach to resolving complaints is as follows:

Send complaint

If you are dissatisfied with a service provided by us, you may lodge a complaint in writing.  Please include the following details:

  1. your name & contact details;
  2. the nature of your complaint;
  3. details of any steps you have already taken to resolve the complaint;
  4. details of any conversations you may have had with us that are relevant to your complaint; and
  5. copies of any documentation that may be relevant.

Please send your complaint to [email protected].


We will review the information that you provide us and pass this to the appropriate department.  We commit to resolving your complaint in a timely manner.


  1. We will keep in touch with you during the process.  If you require support, please email [email protected].  Once we have finalised your complaint, we will advise you of our findings and any action we have taken.
Show more